Thanks you for your nominations for our 2017 Community Read!
The Selection Committee will narrow the nominations to 5 great reads and reveal them for a vote in September. The winner will be announced in November. __________________________________________________________________
2016 Featured Book: THE MARTIAN
[caption id="attachment_4085" align="alignleft" width="197"] THE MARTIAN by Andy Weir; 2016 Community Choice[/caption]
By Andy Weir
Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first people to walk on Mars. Now, he’s sure he’ll be the first person to die there. After a dust storm nearly kills him and forces his crew to evacuate while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded and alone with no way to signal Earth that he’s alive—and even if he could get word out, his supplies would be gone long before a rescue could arrive. Chances are, though, he won’t have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment, or plain-old “human error” are much more likely to kill him first. But Mark isn’t ready to give up yet. Drawing on his ingenuity, his engineering skills—and a relentless, dogged refusal to quit—he steadfastly confronts one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after the next. Will his resourcefulness be enough to overcome the impossible odds against him?
The TTOB year long program includes the following components:
▪ Book Nominations: January-May
▪ Select Contenders: June-August
▪ Vote for the final Selection: September -October
▪ Announce THE BOOK: November
▪ Community Activities: January-May
▪ We invite volunteers to work on sub-committees and events. Sub-committees include: Book Selection, Book Readers, Public Relations, Events, Fundraising, and Kids Read, Too! Contact Us.
▪ Get the BOOK! Check out a copy of the selected book or purchase your own copy at your local bookstore. The title will be available at the Clifton Park-Halfmoon Library in hardback, paperback and audio format. This title will also available as a Book Club in a Bag version, for book clubs wishing to check out multiple copies at once!
▪ Read! Join your family, friends, co-workers, and neighbors in reading the same book – together!
▪ Register your Book Club. We are happy to include book clubs from the surrounding area. Read more in About Us.
▪ Attend our related programs. See Events.
▪ Check out our web pages weekly and watch for the official schedule of events in January!
▪ Sign up to receive e-mail updates about TTOB related programs and events.
▪ Attend a Community Book Discussion. Official Discussion Questions for your own book group will also be available on the website.
▪ Become a Sponsor.
▪ Contact Us. Or contact Linda Conklin, Chairwoman of TTOB, at email@example.com.
_________________________________________Our goal is to bring people in our community together through the shared reading and discussion of a common book. Our choices inspire rich discussion and community activities and encourage younger readers to participate through companion books and related activities.
Friends of the Clifton Park-Halfmoon Public Library 475 Moe Road Clifton Park, NY 12065